Thursday, February 1, 2018

I like Thursday, February 1, 2018


47 days until Spring!


It's been a busy week.  Scout developed a seratoma near her incision after too much activity this past weekend.  I'm applying warm compresses to the area and fortunately, it doesn't seem to bother her.  I'm also working on her hair every day which has gotten very matted from the cone.  That brings me to my first like, a dematting comb!
My groomer had recommended I get one a few days before her spaying.  She knew the cone would make her matted.  

We are counting down the days until Scout can return to her normal life and we can all take walks again.  She's not sleeping through the night and Mama wants to get sleep again.

I've been sewing in the dining room.  My husband was working out of state last week and I finished another donation top.
I had found a stack of 4 inch novelty blocks in my stash and after cutting some more blocks, I pieced this together.  The navy fabric is leftover backing fabric and the orange fabric has been sitting around here for years.  I'm glad to use them up and it is a very simple pattern.  This quilt will be donated to a child at Camp Erin and I'm making a second one to donate to the pediatric cancer unit of our local hospital.

While scouring the sewing room I found a few pinwheels and a lot of triangles and have been piecing them as well.

These blocks are only 4 inches square and I'm not sure what I will do with them.  I think I will just finishe them up and then decided if there is enough to do a project or use them on another top.


Lastly, it's almost Valentine's Day.  I think this is an overblown holiday but I'm always grateful that my favorite candy is available this time of year!
Yup, chocolate covered cherries!  YUM YUM YUM!  I have to be careful not to buy too many boxes because I absolutely adore these candies.

I hope you have a lot to like!  Link up to LeeAnna at Not Afraid of Color for more posts!  Have a great day!

10 comments:

Home Sewn By Us said...

Good Morning Michele,
I can't help but see those chocolate covered cherries and think of my brother. I used to get him a box every year for Christmas. He loved them as much as you do - I don't think he ever had too many boxes of them. That little basket of pinwheels looks like fun! I love pinwheels - they always make me feel happy. ~smile~ Roseanne

Mary in Peoria Handmade said...

How funny about the candy. When I delivered my first child 48 years ago my father came to the hospital and brought me a box of chocolate covered cherries. I had never had them before! I ate the whole box before I went home 2 days later! Still love em. I also love the child's sign, perfect. Have a great day. mary in Az

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

LOL Oh the story of chocolate covered cherries.....my ex loved them. For Christmas one year my daughter bought him a case of them. Every time I turned around he was eating them. My daughter saw a giant one, and also flavored coffee recently. Cute quilts. Oh poor scout, I am sure she is itching to get better too.

PaintedThread said...

February and chocolates. :-) Your charity quilt is very pretty, and I like all those pinwheels!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Spring keeps getting closer! Hooray! Your donation quilt is bright and happy - someone is going to love cuddling up in it. Hope Scout is back to normal soon!

Libby in TN said...

Those candies used to be big around here at Christmas time, old hat by Valentine's Day. Too much of a sugar buzz for me, though, anytime.

Michele said...

You can have ALL the chocolate covered cherries :) I'm not a fan. I AM glad spring is on the way, though!!

Jocelyn is Canadian Needle Nana said...

Hmmm, I know someone else who loves those cherries. He usually gets a box this time of year as well!
You are so generous to give your time and quilts to such wonderful causes.

bookkm said...

Hey, Michele,
That donation quilt is so pretty. Last night, I was wishing I had a heavy quilt to curl up under. The quilt on my bed was pieced at the Parkland Community Library for one of my first Summer Reading Programs there. It has polyester batting - very thin. It's warm enough but it doesn't have the weight of old wool or, even, cotton blankets. I do have a cotton blanket somewhere. Maybe I'll dig that out.
Hope Scout settles in after her cone-dom.
And I hope I get to see you before another year passes.

Sandra :) said...

Awwwwwwww poor little squirt - I hope she's feeling better!

You've been busy at your machine - that quilt top is adorable, and some young kiddo will be happy to snuggle under it :) The pinwheels are sweet - they would be nice in a similar quilt to the top you just finished - it would be super pretty for a little girl :)

I haven't had chocolate covered cherries in years - I remember buying them when I was in high school - such a treat :D Now I want one, lol!